Why Buy Artificial Grass
The low-maintenance alternative to a natural lawn
Real grass – it looks amazing, but can be consume hours for maintenance. And for many of us with leisure time becoming increasingly precious and the Cape Town weather frustratingly unpredictable, it can be difficult to dedicate time to maintaining it. So why not explore an artificial grass solution?
The days of bright green, plastic-looking artificial lawns are gone. Artificial turf or fake grass is now more durable, less abrasive and is manufactured in such a way that it’s now difficult to tell the difference between it and the real thing. So if you’re interested in less lawn maintenance and more garden games, let us take you through everything you need to know when shopping for artificial grass.
Having a perfect, natural lawn can require quite a bit of work. As well as mowing, lawns may need to be routinely fed and watered, with weeds and moss removed regularly. And even doing all this may not lead to lush grass.
Artificial grass is:
- low-maintenance – stop watering, feeding, weeding and mowing your lawn
- hard-wearing and durable
- long-lasting and fade-resistant
- safe and hygienic
- easy to clean – ideal if you have children or pets. Simply water it lightly to remove any spillages or mess
- built to drain easily – it dries quickly so you won’t have to worry about sodden grass spoiling your plans
- ideal for smaller or more awkwardly-shaped outside spaces such as roof terraces, decking areas and balconies
- a smooth, yet soft surface for outdoor sports like football or frisbee
- ready to lay on both hard surfaces (such as concrete or wooden decking) or directly onto soft surfaces (such as soil) making it massively versatile
Artificial grass features
Here we discuss the features and benefits of different types of artificial grass. Scroll down to the bottom of the section to find a table which details how these features relate to our range.
Artificial grass density & thickness
Thickness measured in millimetres (mm)
When picking the right artificial grass for you, the main thing to think about is density. This refers to the number of yarns (grass blades) per square inch. Artificial grass is made from yarns of plastic and latex. These are extremely hard-wearing synthetic fibres and the greater the number of yarns, the denser and thicker the grass is.
Thick, dense grass creates the most comfortable and luxurious feel underfoot. Low density grass is a great budget option and is best in smaller areas that don’t have much foot traffic. While super-heavy, thick grass is the best option for high-traffic areas as it will last the longest. So consider where you’re placing your artificial grass and how much it will be walked over or played on.
Artificial grass colour
The yarns of artificial grass come in varying colours of green and brown. The brown is used near the base and is crinkled to simulate the look of the dead grass (or thatch) you’d see in a natural lawn. While the green replicates the fresh, lush look of a healthy lawn.
The more colours used, the more realistic the look of your grass with our range offering up to four colours.
Artificial grass pile
The pile of the grass refers to the look of the upright blades (yarns). Each option gives you a different look and feel, so it’s an important consideration when buying yours.
We offer three options:
- Short, curly pile – the thinnest and least dense option. Ideal for smaller budgets.
- Straight pile – the mid-range option, straight pile is longer and thicker than short, curly pile.
- Straight and curly pile – the most luxurious and comfortable option, the combination of straight and curly blades creates a more realistic look. The direction of the pile is also important – be sure to lay yours with the pile all facing the same way for the most natural look.
Artificial grass cuts & coverage
All of the options in our artificial grass range can be cut to fit your space, meaning there will be less waste as it’s made to measure for you. Choose between our pre-cut options or come in-store to have it cut to size. Choose from the following available sizes:
- 2 or 4 metres (m) wide
- 1 to 25m long